Monday, June 18, 2007

Kings of Leon T-Shirt contest


Hey everyone! My name is Eric Henry. I'm new to the Global Marketing department. I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania last year, and I was consulting for a year before I finally wised up and came to the music industry! I really look forward to meeting all of you.

Anyway, I received an email today that I thought was an interesting concept and I wanted to share it with everyone. The Kings of Leon have started a contest to design their new tour t-shirt. Anyone can enter the contest and they can enter as often as they like. The grand prize winner gets an epiphone guitar signed by the band and a KoL prize-pack with tons of KoL merchandise and apparel with their design incorporated into it. There are also ten second prize winners who will receive the entire Kings of Leon RCA Records CD catalog.

What I find cool about this is the fact that the band members themselves will decide the winner. This brings them closer to their fan base. It gives the fans a chance to feel connected to the music they listen to on a different level. I think this is a great tactic that all bands should use. Getting the fans directly involved with the band makes them more willing to tell their friends about the band, and maybe, on some level, makes these fans feel worse about illegally downloading the content. The best way to start getting rid of illegal downloading is to at least get fans to buy the music of their favorite bands; the bands they are emotionally involved with.

No comments: